I made this hat for a cute little five year old Pixie. Then I got a couple of requests for one from my Grands. Even my not so little anymore fifteen year old Pixie asked for one today when she saw me working on this pattern.
This hat is made for a larger child. The Pixie I made it for had a pretty big head, as do my Grands. This would fit my fifteen year old Pixie.
Remember, just a Grandma here, not a pro. But, if you have any questions let me know and I would be more than happy to help.
So, here you go...
Dinosaur Spike Pixie Hat
1 Skein Sugar & Cream cotton for main body of hat.
1 Skein Sugar & Cream cotton in contrasting color for spikes & trim.
I am using Black & Hot Pink! A request from my Grandy Girl. She is 12 and wants this hat very much. She is sooooo fun!
Size I crochet hook.
Size E crochet hook.
Body of hat is worked in half double crochet (HDC).
Slip Stitch (SS)
Trim & Spikes are worked in single crochet (SC).
Body of Hat:
Use main color & I hook...
- Ch 5 and join with a SS to form circle.
- Ch 2 (counts as 1st HDC) Make 9 HDC in circle. Join with SS in top of chain 2. 10 HDC.
- Make *HDC in next ST, 2 HDC in next ST* Repeat around to marker.
- Make *HDC in next 2 ST, 2 HDC in next ST* Repeat around to marker.
- Make *HDC in next 3 ST, 2 HDC in next ST* Repeat around to marker.
- Make *HDC in next 4 ST, 2 HDC in next ST* Repeat around to marker.
- Make HDC in each ST around to marker.
- Continue row 8 until hat measures 7" from top. Do not finish off.
For first flap just continue from where you left off from last row. For the 2nd flap, fold hat in half and begin in HDC directly across from other side.
|Start 2nd Flap Here...|
- CH 2 (counts as first HDC) HDC in next 13 ST. Turn. 14 HDC.
- CH 2. HDC 2 tog. HDC in next 9 ST. HDC 2 tog. HDC in last ST. Turn. 12 HDC.
- CH 2. HDC 2 tog. HDC in next 7 ST. HDC 2 tog. HDC in last ST. Turn. 10 HDC.
- CH 2. HDC across. Turn. 10 HDC.
- CH 2. HDC 2 tog. HDC in next 5 ST. HDC 2 tog. HDC in last ST. Turn. 8 HDC.
- CH 2. HDC across. Turn. 8 HDC.
- CH 2. HDC 2 tog. HDC in next 3 ST. HDC 2 tog. HDC in last ST. Turn. 6 HDC
- CH 2 HDC across. Turn. 6 HDC.
- CH 2 HDC 2 tog. Twice. HDC in last ST. Turn. 4 HDC.
- CH 2 HDC in next 3 HDC. Finish off.
With contrasting color (CC), work SC evenly around body of hat.
|SC evenly around hat with CC|
Use CC and E hook.
Note: I work mine in a continuous spiral, but you can join with a SS at the end of each round. Whichever you like best...
- Ch 2. 6 SC in 2nd CH from hook. Pull tail tight to close circle. 6 SC.
- *1 SC in next ST. 2 SC in next. 3 times. 9 SC.
- 1 SC in each ST around. 9 SC.
- *1 SC in next 2 ST. 2 SC in next.* 3 times. 12 SC.
- 1 SC in each ST. 12 SC.
- *1SC in next 3 ST. 2 SC in next.* 3 times. 15 SC.
- 1 SC in each ST. 15 SC.
- *1 SC in next 4 ST. 2 SC in next.* 3 times. 18 SC.
- 1 SC in each ST. 18 SC.
- SS into next SC. Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.
|Leave long tail for sewing to hat...|
Lay your hat out flat so that you can see the ridge where the spikes should be sewn.
|Fold hat in half and line up spikes for sewing...|
I use both colors. 6 long strands of each. Then I pull all 6 strands through the center of the last 4 HDC made on the ear flaps. Now you have 12 strands...
|Pull all six through center of last 4 HDC...|
|Tie knot at base of ear flap...|
|Braid all 12 strands...|
Any questions let me know...
And DON'T FORGET TO LIKE my Pixie HeartStrings FB Page so you can keep up with new & exciting projects posted almost daily! AND, feel free to share your finished project there for all to enjoy. Be PROUD! Show it off!!! :)