Pixie HeartStrings was inspired by all the little Pixies who are being raised by other family members when their parents are unable to do so...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pixie Creation Pattern!

 
 
Hi there!
 
I made this Hat for a friend who is going to Aruba to visit her God Daughter. She is a very generous person who does a lot for assorted charities and I wanted to do something nice for her...
 
I posted this on my Pixie HeartStrings FaceBook page and was asked for the pattern. So, here it is. Keep in mind, I am not a professional, I am a Grandma making hats for little Pixies and I just do what I know how. You can improve on yours anyway you would like...
 
This particular hat is made from some vintage Bernat Cassino mercerized cotton I have been hoarding. I have also made this hat in many other yarns. And depending on weight of yarn, you should pick a hook size you that will work with the yarn best. I used an F hook for this particular yarn. When I use a heavier yarn, I use an H hook.
 
The key is the head measurements. So, as this one is for a 9 month old, I wanted to make the hat fit a baby 6-12 months. So I wanted the hat to be about 17.5 inches circumference and about 6.5 inches from the crown to the bottom of the ear. I do not include the brim in this measurement. Your baby may have a bigger head, you can just add more increase rows to accommodate.
 
There is a great chart I found on Pinterest  that is invaluable in helping decide how big to make your hat. So, size decided, here goes...
 
Aruba Pixie Hat
  1. Chain 3 and join with a slip stitch (SS) to form a circle.
  2. Make 9 single crochet (SC) in circle. Join with a SS to the 1st SC. 9 SC
  3. Make 2 SC in each SC of last row. Join with a SS to 1st SC. 18 SC
  4. SC in each SC of last row. Join with a SS to 1st SC. 18 SC
  5. Make 2 SC in each SC of last row. Join with a SS to 1st SC. 36 SC
  6. SC in each SC of last row. Join with a SS to 1st SC. 36 SC
  7. Repeat row 6. 36 SC
  8. *2 SC in first SC of last row. 1 SC in next*. Continue in this pattern to last SC. Join with a SS to 1st SC. 54 SC
  9. SC in each SC from last row. Join with a SS.
  10. At this point, you need to decide if you need your hat bigger. You can continue to increase as above. For the 6-12 months I stopped increasing here.
  11. Continue Row 9 until hat measures the length you need for your size according to chart.
  12. You will now make brim.
  13. Repeat Row 8. 
  14. SC in each SC of last row. Join with SS in 1st SC. 
  15. Repeat row 14 until brim measures 2 inches.
  16. SS in each SC from previous row. Fasten off.
Please note...Brim can be worn up or down on this hat.
 
You can embellish the hat any way you wish. I chose a simple flower in the main color (MC) of hat and a complimentary color (CC.
 
Crochet Flower
  1. With CC, Chain 3 & SS in first chain to make circle.
  2. 12 Double Crochet (DC) in circle. Join with a SS. Do not break Yarn.
  3. Connect MC  with a SS in same DC as last SS. SC in same stitch. *Chain 3. Skip next DC. SC in next DC.* Continue pattern around. Join with SS in 1st SC. 6 Chain 3 loops.
  4. SS into 1st chain 3 loop. Make *SC, 5 DC, SC in loop to form petal. SS into next chain 3 loop*. Continue in this pattern until you have 6 petals. Fasten off CC.
  5. Pick up your main color (MC). Working behind the petals just made, SS into 1st unused DC from 1st Row. SC in same stitch. * Chain 5. SC in next unused DC* Continue around until you have 6 chain 5 loops. Join with SS to 1st SC.
  6. SS into 1st chain 5 loop. Make *SC, 7 DC, SC in loop to form petal. SS into next chain 5 loop.* Continue in this pattern until you have 6 petals made out of MC. Fasten off.  
  7. Attach flower to either side of hat as desired.
  8.  
 
I made this cute sundress to go with the hat or vice verse. Heehee...
I will be posting the pattern I made up for the top and directions for the skirt in my next post...
 
So, Please stop by again so you can get that pattern and be sure to let me know you were here or if you have any questions at all. Again, I am just a Grandma who loves to crochet for her Pixies, but I will do my best to address any issues that come up...
 
Feel free to post your pictures of your finished Pixie Creation on my Pixie HeartStrings Facebook page. I would love to see them or whatever else you may be working on. And make sure you LIKE it so you can get in on the GIVEAWAY I am having when the page reaches 100 likes!
 
Now go create!!!
 
Susie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pixie Pals!
    Thank you to Joan for spotting an error in the Aruba Hat Pattern...
    I had row 8 & 9 transposed at one point...
    And, if you increased for a larger head size you would have more than 81 SC for your Brim...
    Hope the edits help!
    Thanks again Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU FOR THE HAT PATTERN YOUR HAT IS BEAUTIFUL AND I CANT WAIT TO TRY IT

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments!