As promised I am back with the pattern I developed for the sundress above. Again, keep in mind, I am not a professional. Just a Grandma who enjoys making Pixie Creations...
As it is a Sundress, you really want the yarn you choose to be lightweight and something that will "breath" in order to keep the child comfortable.
I chose to use a mercerized cotton. The one I used comes double stranded. It has a smooth, shiny finish to it and works up nicely. I have also used the Fashion 3 mercerized cotton and doubled it up myself.
I use a cotton blend for my fabric. Again, something cool & crisp.
For the yarn I chose, I used an F Hook. You should choose your hook to go with your yarn choice.
6M (1, 2, 3)YR
Chest Measurements 18(20, 22, 24)"
I work the piece by measurements...that is, I do not have a set chain length to start. I make a chain to my chest measurements that I have decided to make the dress. Therefore, if I am making a 6 Month size top, I want to make my front and back to both be 9" wide when finished. When sewn together they will become my 18" chest measurement. Both sides are worked exactly the same.
Make chain to desired length.
- SC in 2nd chain from hook and across chain to end. Chain 1 & turn.
- SC across each SC to end. Ch 1 & turn.
- Repeat row 3 until piece measures 1(1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2)"
- Slip Stitch next 3(4, 5, 6) SC. SC to within last 3(4, 5, 6) SC. Ch 1 & turn.
- SC across to end. Ch1 & turn.
- Work even until piece measures 3(3 1/2, 4, 4 1/2)" from bottom. Ch 1 & turn.
- Left Front: SC 9(10, 10, 10). Ch 1 & turn.
- Work even until piece measures 4(5, 6, 7)". Fasten off.
- Right Side: Skip Center until you have 9(10, 10, 10) left on row. SC those to end. Ch 1 & turn.
- Work even until piece measures same as left front. (same amount of rows). Fasten off.
- Make back piece exactly the same.
- Sew shoulder & side seams.
- Work SC evenly around neckline and both armholes. Join with a SS and fasten off. Pic A
- Turn piece upside down and work SC evenly around the bottom. Join with a SS.
- Work SC in same stitch as SS *skip 2, 5DC, skip 2, SC* around. Join with a SS and fasten off. Weave in all ends for a neat finish. Pic B
- Make and attach flower same as in hat pattern in last post. Or you can embellish any way you choose. Plain & simple is pretty too...
From fabric cut a piece 1 1/2 X's wider than the width of bottom of your crocheted top. Piece should be cut to your desired length plus 1 3/4" to allow for hem.
- Stitch the back seam. I prefer to have no raw edges so I use a French Seam. You can use a regular seam with 5/8" seam allowance. Pic C.
- Gather top of fabric. Adjust to fit width of crocheted top.
- Hand stitch the crocheted top to your fabric. Pic D.
- Press under 1/4" at hemline.
- Turn hem up 1 1/2" and sew in place. You could also machine stitch. I prefer to hand sew.
Ta Da! You are done!!! If you have any questions let me know. I will be happy to help. And please...feel free to post your finished projects on the Pixie HeartStrings FaceBook page. I would love to see them! And please take a moment to Like the page. That way you will know when new items in my Etsy Shop or free patterns are featured!
Have a fabulous weekend!!!